I love to read. It is one of my things. I find inspiration, joy, and new perspectives. I feel a sense of community with the people in my life that are readers. I love to share ideas and recommendations. I love to give books as presents and encourage people to read. At this time of year, I love giving direction for the readers in your life.
Here are some reasons why some people might consider it important to read books about travel:
- Inspiration: Travel books can inspire readers to explore new places, try new things, and step out of their comfort zones.
- Cultural Understanding: Travel books can provide readers with insights into different cultures, customs, and ways of life, helping to broaden their perspectives and increase their empathy.
- Practical Information: Travel books can offer practical information about destinations, including tips on where to stay, what to see, and how to get around.
- Escapism: Travel books can provide a form of escapism, allowing readers to experience the thrill of travel from the comfort of their own homes.
- Education: Travel books can be educational, teaching readers about history, geography, and other subjects related to the places they are reading about.
- Personal Growth: Reading travel books can help readers to develop a sense of independence, self-discovery, and personal growth. It can also help them to confront their fears and overcome challenges.
- Environmental Awareness: Travel books can raise awareness about environmental issues and the impact of tourism on local communities and ecosystems.
- Language Learning: Travel books can be a great way to learn a new language or improve language skills by reading about different cultures and places.
- Entertainment: Travel books can be entertaining and enjoyable to read, providing readers with a sense of adventure and excitement.
- Connection: Reading travel books can help readers to connect with other travelers and like-minded individuals who share their passion for exploring the world.
- Planning: Travel books can be a valuable resource for planning trips, providing information on transportation, accommodations, and activities.
- Inspiration for Writing: Reading travel books can inspire writers to create their own travel stories and share their experiences with others.
- Historical Perspective: Travel books can provide a historical perspective on a destination, helping readers to understand the context and significance of the places they are visiting.
- Food and Drink: Travel books can offer insights into local cuisine and beverages, providing readers with ideas for new dishes to try and places to eat.
- Sense of Adventure: Reading travel books can ignite a sense of adventure in readers, encouraging them to explore new places and take risks in their own lives.
So, having given a multitude of reasons as to why read travel books, Here are 20 of the best travel books:
1. “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho
2. “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert
3. “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer
4. “The Beach” by Alex Garland
5. “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed
6. “The Art of Travel” by Alain de Botton
7. “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson
8. “The Great Railway Bazaar” by Paul Theroux
9. “In a Sunburned Country” by Bill Bryson
10. “The Lost City of Z” by David Grann
11. “The Geography of Bliss” by Eric Weiner
12. “Microadventures: Local Discoveries fro Great Escapes” by Alastair Humphreys
13. “The Snow Leopard” by Peter Matthiessen
14. “Travels with Charley” by John Steinbeck
15. “The Tao of Travel” by Paul Theroux
16. “The Old Patagonian Express” by Paul Theroux
17. “The Road to Oxiana” by Robert Byron
18. “The Songlines” by Bruce Chatwin
19. “The Worst Journey in the World” by Apsley Cherry-Garrard
20. “Turn Right at Machu Picchu” by Mark Adams
These travel books offer unique perspectives on travel, adventure, and self-discovery, and can inspire readers to explore new destinations and cultures.