I spent the weekend in Cape May for my birthday. before the trip, I spent some time thinking about where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. My first choice was the Hershey Spa and Hotel but they were fully booked and other than the spa, there is little to do that time of year. I also thought about New York, but then eliminated that option because I was looking for something more peaceful. So, Cape May it was! Cape May has several spas that offer a variety of services and treatments to help visitors relax and rejuvenate. I took some time to check out the different spa and package and called a few for appointments. I enjoyed the customer service I received from the Sea Spa at the Congress Hotel and choose that as the destination. Here are some of the spas in Cape May that I considered:
1. The Well Center for Massage: This spa offers a variety of massage services, including Swedish, deep tissue, and hot stone massages. They also offer reflexology, aromatherapy, and other treatments.
2. Sea Spa: Located at Congress Hall, this spa offers a variety of services, including massages, facials, and body treatments. They also have a sauna, steam room, and indoor pool.
3. Cape May Day Spa: This spa offers a variety of services, including massages, facials, and body treatments. They also have a hair salon and offer bridal packages.
4. The Salt Cave: This spa offers halotherapy, which involves breathing in salt-infused air to help with respiratory and skin conditions. They also offer massages, facials, and other treatments.
5. The Red Door Salon & Spa: Located at the Icona Cape May hotel, this spa offers a variety of services, including massages, facials, and body treatments. They also have a hair salon and offer bridal packages.
The Sea Spa at Congress Hall is a luxurious spa located in the historic Congress Hall hotel in Cape May, New Jersey. Here are some of the features and services offered at the Sea Spa:
1. Services: The Sea Spa offers a variety of services, including massages, facials, body treatments, and nail services. They also offer packages for couples, brides, and groups.
2. Amenities: The spa features a sauna, steam room, and indoor pool, as well as a relaxation room with a fireplace and comfortable seating. Guests can also enjoy complimentary tea, water, and snacks.
3. Products: The Sea Spa uses high-quality products from brands like Eminence Organic Skin Care and Farmhouse Fresh. They also offer a selection of products for purchase.
4. Atmosphere: The spa has a serene and relaxing atmosphere, with soft lighting, soothing music, and comfortable furnishings. The decor is inspired by the sea, with shades of blue and green and natural materials like wood and stone.
5. Location: The Sea Spa is located in the heart of Congress Hall, a historic hotel that dates back to 1816. Guests can enjoy the spa’s services and amenities, as well as the hotel’s restaurants, bars, and other attractions.
I truly enjoyed my experience at the Sea Spa. It was exactly what I needed to give me the time to contemplate the upcoming year. I chose the full body scrub treatment. The treatment starts out with a light brushing to exfoliate the skin, then the aesthetician scrubbed with the most delightful scented product, and then, after it was all taken off, there was a lovely lotion applied. I chose a quiet appointment with soft music to help me drift to where I needed to drift. I can’t say enough nice things about not only my treatment, but how I was treated.
What I really enjoyed about Sea Spa were the other amenities they had offered. They had a beautiful bathroom with a complement a product that you may have forgotten to bring with you, like, deodorant, razors, hairspray, and other things. There were lockers, a dressing areas and spa showers. I choose not to shower, because I did not want to wash away my treatment, and really didn’t need to because I found that it has soaked in so wonderfully in to my skin. After dressing, I went to the lounge and had a cup of tea and read while I waited. It is exactly what I craved.
After, our spa time was over, we meandered to the Washington Street shopping area, where we found Quincy’s Original Lobster Rolls. This is a small place in the shopping area with a big flavor. The menu is skewed towards lobster. I love this kind of menu because they do one thing and they do it right. To be frank with you, I had a bite of their bread which was very good but my focus was on the lobster. It was sweat, fresh and meaty. Quincy’s doesn’t rely on flakes but chunks of lobster meat. My roll had a claw. This was one of the best of the lobster rolls I have had. If you are nearby, this is a must go.
1. Menu: Quincy’s offers a variety of lobster rolls, including the classic Maine-style roll with butter and lemon, as well as a Connecticut-style roll with warm butter and a touch of paprika. They also offer a lobster BLT roll and a lobster grilled cheese.
LOBSTER ROLLS & MORE
Split-top roll, buttered, toasted, and served w/chips & pickle. All rolls made to order. Chicken Tenders: 5 all-natural white meat tenders………………………………………………….9.99 2 Hotdog or 2 Corn-dog Meal: 100% beef hotdogs or corn-dogs…………………… ………..8.99 Classic Roll: Tender lobster, bead of mayo, lemon butter & seasoning…………………….17.99 Connecticut Roll: Tender lobster, dunked in butter and seasoned, served warm……….17.99 Lobster Salad Roll: Quincy’s own lobster salad………………………………………………………17.99 Lobster Grilled Cheese: American cheese on wheat or white w/ lobster ………………….17.99 Lobster Mac & Cheese: 12oz mac & cheese w/ lobster…………………………………………..14.99 Crab Roll: Lump crab , bead of creamy horseradish, lemon butter & seasoning………..15.99 Shrimp Roll: Jumbo shrimp topped with a zesty, light & creamy cocktail sauce ……….10.99 4 Roll Combo: Try four of our rolls (Two Lobster Rolls, Crab & Shrimp Roll)……………..58.99 Chicken Tenders: 3 all-natural white meat……………………………………………………………….7.99 Grilled Cheese: American cheese…………………………………………………………………………..5.99 Hotdog, Corn-Dog: 100% beef………………………………………………………………………………..5.99 B L T Option: Add bacon and tomato to any roll for $1.00 No Carb Option: Romaine instead of the bun, no additional charge KIDS MEALS OTHER
MEALS SOUPS & SALADS
Maine Lobster Bisque: 12oz …………………………………………………………………………………7.99 New England Clam Chowder: 12oz……………………………………………………………………….7.99 Chatham Salad: Baby greens, tomato, cucumber, croutons, lemon wedge……………….7.99 Add Lobster $10 · Lobster Salad $10 · Lump Crab $8 · Shrimp $6 · Tenders $6
2. Ingredients: Quincy’s uses fresh, locally sourced lobster in their rolls, as well as high-quality bread and other ingredients. They also offer gluten-free and vegan options.
3. Location: Quincy’s restaurant is on Washington Street in the shopping area. It is convenient to the hotels and is centrally located.
4. Hours: Quincy’s is open seasonally, typically from May through September. They are open daily from 11am to 5pm, weather permitting.
5. Reviews: Quincy’s has received rave reviews from customers, who praise the delicious lobster rolls and friendly service. They have been featured in several local and national publications, including Coastal Living and Food & Wine.
Quincy’s Original Lobster Rolls is a must-visit for seafood lovers in Cape May. With fresh, locally sourced lobster and a variety of delicious rolls to choose from, it’s no wonder they have become a popular. We found that it definitely lived up to the hype. We had a regular lobster roll. The meat was fresh, juicy and well proportioned. There was a huge lobster claw and the meat wasn’t flaked. To tell you the truth, I only took a bite of the bread because I was concentrated on the beautiful lobster that Quincy’s serves.
Another spot we choose was The Lobster House. We made reservation on our way into Cape May. We encountered quiet a bit of traffic leaving Philadelphia and wanted to stop before we checked into the hotel for the night. We knew that we we went to the hotel first, we wouldn’t go out. We managed a reservation and were thrilled when we arrived.
The Lobster House is a popular seafood restaurant and market located a bit out of the main tourist area in Cape May. Here are some details about The Lobster House:
1. History: The Lobster House was founded in 1954 by the Dougherty family, who had been in the seafood business for generations (they have a restaurant in Atlantic City, which is excellent!). The restaurant has since become a Cape May institution, known for its fresh seafood and nautical decor.
2. Menu: The Lobster House offers a variety of seafood dishes, including lobster, crab, shrimp, and fish. They also have a raw bar and sushi. In addition to the restaurant, they also have a take-out market that offers fresh seafood, soups, and other items. They have their own oyster from which they source thier oyster.
Crabmeat Cocktail – Jumbo Lump Crabmeat
Crab Fingers served with our own Mustard Sauce
Chilled Combination – Two Shrimp, Two Clams and Two Oysters
Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail served chilled with Cocktail Sauce
Fried Calamari with Marinara Sauce
Escargots sauteed in Garlic Butter, served on Toast Rounds
Ask your server about our more extensive list of Oysters on the Half Shell.
Cape May Salts – A petite, crisp, salty oyster with a clean finish, harvested from our own beds in the Delaware Bay
Oysters Rockefeller – Oysters under a bed of delicately seasoned spinach, topped with mornay sauce
Mussels and Clams
Steamed Clams – Eighteen clams served with clam broth and drawn butter
Steamed Mussels with a red marinara or white garlic sauce
Fresh Jersey Clams on the Half Shell
Consuming Raw or Uncooked Seafood may increase your risk of food borne illness.
Barbecued Clams – Baked with sharp Cheese, bacon and our tangy barbecue sauce
Baked Clams Casino – Topped with a mixture of celery, onion, green peppers, herbs and bacon
Lobster House Combo – Two Clams Casino, Two Oysters Rockefeller and Two Barbecued Clams
Fisherman’s Wharf Clam Chowder – New England Style served in a crock
Homemade Snapper Soup – A Rich Turtle Soup served in a crock
Baked Onion Soup Gratinee
Caesar Salad – Garden fresh greens, croutons, anchovies, egg, Parmesan cheese and tossed in Caesar dressing
Fresh Spinach Salad topped with chopped egg, mushrooms, crisp bacon and homemade dressing
Cold Seafood Platter – One half lobster stuffed with shrimp salad, king crab legs, shrimp, mussels, and crab fingers on a bed of romaine
Served on a bed of crisp Lettuce with Tomato Wedges, Sliced Egg, Ripe Olives and Potato Salad, served with Bread & Butter
Gulf Shrimp Salad
Fried Shrimp – Six Lightly Fried Shrimp.
Saute Shrimp Parmigiana – Jumbo Shrimp with Our House Garden Tomato Sauce, Topped with three cheeses, Provolone, Mozzarella and Parmesan, Served over Penne Pasta.
Shrimp Scampi – Six Large Sauteed Shrimp served over Yellow Rice or Linguine.
Cape May Scallops – Prepared Sauteed, Broiled or Fried.
Baked Stuffed Shrimp – Four Large Shrimp, Stuffed with Crabmeat.
Crab Cakes – Two Crab Cakes Delicately Seasoned, Served Sauteed or Lightly Fried.
Sauteed Crabmeat – Fresh Jumbo Lump Crabmeat Sauteed with White Wine and Butter.
Crabmeat Au Gratin – Jumbo Lump Crabmeat in a Rich Creamy Cheese Sauce.
Baked Crab Imperial – Made with Our Own Blend of Special Seasonings.
Soft Shell Crabs – Served Sauteed or Lightly Fried.
Fillet of Flounder – Prepared Sauteed, Broiled or Fried.
Baked Stuffed Flounder – Fillet of Flounder Stuffed with Crab Imperial and Scallops, Topped with Shrimp and Mornay Sauce.
Flounder Francaise – Fillet of Flounder Dipped in Egg Batter, Sauteed in White Wine, Lemon and Butter.
Pan Blackened Redfish – A Spicy New Orleans Herb-Crusted Specialty.
Lobster House Specialty – Lobster Tails, Scallops and Shrimp served over Linguine with Garlic Butter.
Port & Starboard – Petite Filet Mignon, Half a Stuffed Broiled Lobster and a Broiled Tomato.
Broiled Fisherman’s Wharf Platter – Half of a One Pound Lobster stuffed with Crabmeat, Fillet of Flounder, Scallops, Clam Casino, and a Stuffed Shrimp.
Schooner Dinner – One Pound Lobster, Cherrystone Clams, Scallops, Shrimp and Mussels served in a Kettle.
Lobster Tail – North Australian Lobster Tail With Crab Meat Stuffing
Vegetarian Platter – An assortment of fresh seasonal vegetables.
We offer a selection of fresh fish daily: swordfish, tuna, salmon, and mako. Any of them may be served on an oak plank with whipped potatoes and grilled vegetables.
1lb – 3lb lobsters, served steamed or broiled. Crabmeat stuffing available. Ask servers about larger sizes.
Beef and Fowl
Slow Roasted Prime Rib au Jus – Available Saturday night only
New York Strip Steak – Served with fried onions and sautéed mushrooms. Bernaise sauce available
Chicken Francaise – Boneless breast of chicken dipped in egg batter, sautéed in white wine, lemon and butter
Filet Mignon – Served with fried onions and sautéed mushrooms. Bernaise sauce available
French Cut Chicken – Pan-seared then oven roasted and served with chorizo sausage and rice over a basil cream sauce
Dinner entrees include:
- Potatoes: French Fries or Baked Potato or Potato du jour
- Vegetable: Stewed Tomatoes, Cole Slaw, Apple Sauce or Vegetable du jour
- Salad: Tossed Salad, French, Russian, Ranch, Bleu Cheese, Italian, Fat Free Honey Dijon Dressing, Balsamic Vinaigrette or Sundried Tomato with Oregano.
- Homemade Bread and Butter.
Fried Onion Rings
Sauteed Onions or Green Peppers – or Half and Half – Delicious over Steaks
Fried Vegetable Combination – Onion Rings, Tomatoes and Mushrooms Served with Our House Bleu Cheese Dressing or Marinara Sauce
3. Atmosphere: The Lobster House has a nautical theme, with a lighthouse and fishing boats on the property. The restaurant has several dining rooms, including a casual outdoor patio and a more formal dining room with white tablecloths and a fireplace. It is older in appearance and more than likley has not been updated in years.
4. Events: The Lobster House hosts several events throughout the year, including a seafood festival in June and a Christmas tree lighting ceremony in December. They also offer private event spaces for weddings, parties, and other occasions.
5. Reviews: The Lobster House has received rave reviews from customers, who praise the fresh seafood, friendly service, and charming atmosphere. They have been featured in several local and national publications, including Travel + Leisure and Food Network.
Overall, The Lobster House is a must-visit for seafood lovers in Cape May. The oysters were phenomenal and the best any of us have ever eaten. I could go on and on in detail, but it’s not everyne’s cup of tea. They were plump, briny, and perfect. I truly enjoyed the mild flavor. Next, was the clam chowder which was not to my taste. I felt that it was too vinegary and thin. Next time, I think I will go with more oysters.
The seafood platters were good. I much prefer something simple and less fussy. I chose the Schooner Dinner, which is one-pound lobster, cherrystone clams, scallops, shrimp, and mussels served in a kettle. I liked it because it was steamed, but didn’t care for the scallops because I found them a little rubbery. The rest was good and well steamed. The service was very good, too. All-in-all, a 7.4 out of 10.
This was a great way to spend the weekend. It was soothing and uneventful. I rarely get an opportunity to take care of myself. I can’ t tell you how wonderful it was to focus on my thoughts without distraction. And with thst I have a list of what I would like to accomplush for this upcoming year.